player

Monday, March 31, 2008

I Love Al Gore or Climate Change, It's No Party But You'll Cry If You Want To

Thank God for Al Gore. Here is a man who not only understands the issues of climate change from an environmental perspective, but also from a moral and ethical one as well. Make no mistake, climate changes will impact the poorest countries, regions and people way before those changes will affect rich people (except for ruining Bahamanian vacations perhaps).

My church has been 'Greening' for over a year now. On Saturday, March 29th, the church hosted a solar panel presentation informing people that even in the Pacific Northwest we could utilize solar power. The speaker was Chris Herman of Winter Sun Design. We have previously hosted Al Gore's climate crisis presentation (same presentation as An Inconvenient Truth) by a trained presenter. We are also involved with Earth Ministries, which is working to "inspire and mobilize the Christian Community to play a leadership role in building a just and sustainable future."

I see the issues of global warming and climate change as moral issues of social justice. I believe that we are living in the Garden of Eden. If I'd given my children something as beautiful as this planet and then they went about trashing it there would be no end to my disappointment.

Check out my man, Al on 60 Minutes.

7 comments:

KCG said...

Oh dear.

I'm so emotionally conflicted over this post. On the one hand, I'm so impressed that you have added multimedia to your blog. A definite upgrade and will only improve one of my favorite regular reads.

On the other hand, the endorsement of Mr. Gore is almost more than I can stand. Few people grate more than Al.

Not that I'm against the environment. For years I have washed and reused aluminum foil and recycled. I am a huge fan of pedestrian urban living.

The issue of the environment is real, and I agree with you that it's a matter of social justice. We just don't need Gore using faked data that just adds to the (incorrect) argument that we have nothing to worry about. That movie made me crazy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paige said...

paige said...
There has been no other catalyst in my lifetime that has hastened the sea change we are beginning to see now with regard to the dire responsibility we have to care for this planet than 'An Inconvenient Truth. Without Gore, any meaningful change in our behavior is pushed into the future another 5 or 10 years. How long has he been telling this tale before we would listen? What if we waited?

KCG said...

Something tells me that the "comments were deleted" were hate mail for me and my comment. Thats ok. I love getting mail. I also love Chevy Tahoes, but I guess that's not helping ...

Anonymous said...

no, it wasn't hate mail. I just tried to post comments using my blackberry and I posted before I'd proofed...

I don't think you want to visit my church though - it's becoming clear that you wouldn't like it much.

KCG said...

Actually, I really might! Especially if you're the queen!