player

Friday, March 28, 2008

Grandparents and Special Friends day

Today is Grandparents day at school. They added 'special friends' because they realize a lot of kids don't have grandparents living close by. My kids sure don't and it's kind of hard...

I've been thinking a lot about Granny lately as we approach the 1st anniversary of her death. Why have my mother and I both started playing bridge? I know it's because we miss Granny and that is a way to remember and honor her.

We passed by Brittany Park the other day, where Granny lived toward the end of her life, and Wilbur pointed at it and said, "Who lives there?" It made me so happy that he knew that place and it's importance. And like so many times in life (when we arrive at a certain age) it made me sad for precisely the same reason. Because he didn't say, "I want to go see Granny!" the way he used to when we passed Brittany Park. He couldn't quite remember. And as I see the vividness of his recollection of her ebb away, I feel my loss all over again.

1 comment:

KCG said...

Man o man. That's about the most lovely photograph I've ever seen. What a family treasure.