player

Sunday, March 09, 2008

5th Sunday in Lent


Easter is upon us and I wrestle daily with my impatience and short temper. How can I engage differently on a day-to-day basis in my family life? It's so hard to imagine, before one has children, how one's patience is going to be tested, particularly if one is the type of person who needs some silence to think and some time during the day to oneself.

It all seems so much easier when they nap and simply throw a fit if they are unhappy. The constant negotiating wearns me down and we cultivate in them an interest in the world, and yet when they want to tell me all that they are thinking about I get overwhelmed. It's overwhelming, the amount of information a child processes in a day. To take it all in is exhausting.

I put this here to myself: I am not a short-tempered person. I am not an angry parent. I am a good parent full of patience and generosity toward my children. I want to hear all their thoughts and ideas. And I have the time to do it all - time for them, for me, for work, for light-heartedness, for my marriage, for chores and tasks that need attention - I can do it all.

No comments: