player

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Tune in a Suitcase

Nearly every time I back out of my driveway I think of my Granny who, when she backed out, would weave back and forth from one side of the driveway to the other. Our driveway is deceptive. It looks like it's a straight shot but there are actually some curves. This is what always got Granny. She'd overcompensate.
There was no compensation for her singing voice. Granny refused to sing. She really couldn't carry a tune and was absolutely tone deaf. I don't know how this happens. I always think everyone could at least hit the melody. But not Granny. We would let her off the hook for that and still encourage her to sing, noting the 100th Psalm:

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands!
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before His presence with singing!

But she wouldn't do it. She said that once, as a child, her family were gathered round the piano singing together and she asked her father (and she said it exactly this way), "What do I sing?" To which he replied, "If you could sing anything, it would be Alto."

No comments: