player

Friday, October 17, 2008

When I hear Plumber I think of Nixon. I think, CREEP


Joe the Plumber
Originally uploaded by lannadelarosa
Remember The Plumbers? Nixon's Plumbers? Am I the only one who called up this reference and thought, "hmmm... when I hear Plumber I think Break-in." I think G. Gordon Liddy and E. Howard Hunt. I am not that old, but I've seen All The President's Men. I've read John Dean's book, Blind Ambition. Don't we all remember those guys?

From wikipedia:
The White House Plumbers or simply the Plumbers is the popular name given to the covert White House Special Investigations Unit established July 24, 1971 during the presidency of Richard Nixon. Its job was to stop the leaking (hence "plumbers") of classified information to the news media during the Nixon administration. Its members branched into more nefarious projects working for the Committee to Re-elect the President (CRP, or CREEP), including the Watergate break-ins and the ensuing Watergate scandal.

This poor guy Joe. He just wanted to ask a question. Now the media is combing through his statements and vetting him as if he were the McCain running mate. The guy hasn't always paid all of his taxes, isn't actually a licensed plumber and doesn't make any where near 250K. Tax analysts are even claiming that the guy would get a tax break under the Obama plan when and if he buys the business and is licensed and plumbing.

This guy probably wished John McCain had never brought up his name. Now he's in the NY Times (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/joe-in-the-spotlight/?hp) and he sort of looks like a liar. Now the IRS is going to come after him for the back taxes he owes and people are making money off him selling t-shirts and coffee mugs.


Just remember: Plumbers Bad.

No comments: