player

Monday, October 20, 2008

Render unto Caesar...


render unto Caesar...
Originally uploaded by jeff & gretch
So the lectionary on Sunday was this story from Matthew, where Jesus answers the religious leaders by looking at a coin and saying, "give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's."

It's curious to me that so many Christians on the far right are so concerned with money in a way that seems unlike Jesus even a little bit. John McCain has rallied his troops with phrases like 'spreading the wealth around' as if any clear-eyed, right-thinking person would find that concept anathema.

But, isn't that what's fair? Isn't that what Jesus would do? And if we belong to God, if God wants us to give HIM what is HIS, isn't that our minds, souls and hearts?

I don't get to choose that my tax money, from this pacifist who doesn't believe in war, I don't get to choose where it goes. And I am patriotic enough to accept that I live in this country, this community; not everyone thinks as I do - not everyone is a pacifist... And so, we pay our tax and some of that money (a great deal of it) supports ideologies and actions that I find reprehensible. But I am an American. I am part of that community. And I pay into the greater. The thing that is great about America is that we all support the whole and the whole is utterly diverse - in culture, opinion, priority - and that diversity is our strength.

So, pay attention, all you closed-minded, right-sided fundamentalist Sadducees: Give it up! Pay to the government that which is the Government's. Be about the business of belonging to God, if that's your thing. Pay what you owe and participate in this community of divergent ideas. Don't worry about that money - if it's due then pay it. Get busy with more important matters, like loving God with all your heart, mind and soul and then love your neighbor as yourself.

No comments: