player

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Got a Cat and Skinned Her: Janie & Lisa


waring blender
Originally uploaded by mlnista

Mike and I used to change the lyrics to Earth, Wind & Fire's song September and the phrases we used most were:

Got a cat and skinned her
My best friend's Lucinda-er
Had a Waring Blender


Friends Lisa and Janie gave us a Waring Blender for a wedding present at the kitchen shower they hosted for us in NYC. And I often think of sending them thank you notes randomly, because I use the blender every day. I use it every day and I think of them each and every time I use it. For one thing, it is SUCH a good blender - it crushes ice for margaritas or smoothies - it can handle any job. It was such a nice gift - and I remember thinking at the time that I couldn't believe they would spend so much money! I was so grateful. And it's as sleek and fashionable today as it was in 1997 (those girls have good taste). The shower and party (Doug and I were both there) were so elegant - up to that time, I don't think anyone had ever done anything like that for me. At a time when we really didn't have much, Lisa and Janie did a lot for us.

Lisa went on to host a baby shower for us. Both of these girls were not just at my wedding but in it. Janie's husband David chose and read a beautiful poem (that I have hanging on a wall above my desk)... They have done a lot for me. Much too much.

People would say, that's what friends do. But I don't know if I would - I mean I try to be as good a friend as my friends are to me, but I don't think I ever really make it. I am always astonished and overwhelmed by how dear my friends are - how good they are to me. I don't deserve it.

No comments: