player

Friday, October 03, 2008

Facebook Confusion: Friend vs. Acquaintance


4 of 12 February 2008
Originally uploaded by squamloon
Here's what's happening to me on facebook. Lovely people who I recognize but will never see again and never really had any relationship with other than attending the same high school, add me as a friend on facebook. It's a quandary. I am very particular with words - and some of these people were never my friends and they certainly aren't my friends now. They meet the classic definition of acquaintances.

ac·quaint·ance

–noun 1. a person known to one, but usually not a close friend.
2. the state of being acquainted.
3. personal knowledge as a result of study, experience, etc.: a good acquaintance with French wines.
4. (used with a plural verb) the persons with whom one is acquainted.

I wish I had the option to add these people as acquaintances instead of ignoring them or saying, in a sort of forced way, "hi friend!!" It's awkward. I don't add people as friends if we weren't ever really friends.

I have come to a decision though that I am going to have to hit 'ignore'. It's the only option. It feels like some sort of Seinfeld episode like when Jerry put his foot down about kissing virtual strangers - kissing hello, kissing goodbye. That's me. I'm just not comfortable. I can't do it I tell ya.

No comments: