player

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Ken - Kenny G

Ken Germer and I are political polar opposites. But, he works for a very cool organization, The International Justice Mission (www.ijm.org). Here is Ken's blog: www.kengermer.com

One of my favorite Bible verses is Micah 6:8, Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God. IJM fulfills those directives by seeking justice for those who have no voice and no vote: children sold into slavery and sexual servitude. It's astonishing that there is a market for such prurience... Men (I generalize) who want to have sex with children. Right up there with Marian Wright Edelman, it seems to me that IJM is working to inspire churches to get up and do something.

Actively seeking justice has changed my faith from a self-serving-try-to-look-like-you're-holy kind of attitude into something active and dynamic. Faith develops by focusing on others and trying to create the realm of God on earth.

Ken and I met through Linda McGannon. They lived in the same condo complex and Linda either didn't have a microwave or it was on the fritz and I was over at her home and we were eating something and she gave me the key to Ken's condo and said, "go warm these plates up at Ken's. I don't think he's home, here's his key." So, when I opened the door Ken was sitting there with a girl watching a movie and here I come with two plates of food saying, Linda said I should warm these up in your microwave. And that's how we met.

Ken called me the moodiest person he'd ever met.

We disagreed on almost everything. I didn't own a car at the time so Ken sometimes took me on an errand. One time we argued about something and he wouldn't stop the car and let me get out so I told him I was going to open the door - which I did. He has always claimed that I messed up the seal on that car and that door always leaked when it rained after that.

Ken is a good Christian. He has spent several summers volunteering with homeless kids in Brazil. He is a lawyer too.

Ken used to have a saying on his refrigerator: Your karma ran over my dogma.

No comments: