player

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Scary Fairy

Wilbur is just about to lose both his bottom front teeth - they are practically horizontal. This has prompted a lot of discussion about the tooth fairy. We all tell him about the Tooth Fairy like we discussed it before and he knows all about it, but it has become clear to me as the teeth get looser, that he is a bit concerned about some creature flying into his room as he sleeps...

Upon reflection, why wouldn't he be? I started wondering if I should really talk about this made up fairy. I was watching Wilbur's face this morning as Emery told him the things that would happen, what Wilbur would do with the tooth or teeth, where he'd put them, and what would happen next. Wilbur had a look of real terror on his face.

When I picked him up from school today, the first thing he said was, "Mom, what IS the tooth fairy?" Like - what is it - a person coming into my room, what?

Maybe this isn't such a good idea - telling him these fibs and scaring him about freaky fairies who like teeth. As we explained it the other day he said, "Why does she want the teeth?" And we all just stared at him, Emery, Doug and me... What do you say in the face of such logic? Why would she want the teeth? What shall she do with them?

I have no answers, only questions...

No comments: