player

Monday, November 24, 2008

Granny's Musical Chairs

As the holidays approach and we have planned to have our wonderful guests spend nights in our home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I keep remembering a story we tell in our family... People were coming to stay with Granny and Poppa and my mother and somehow, the way Granny had it arranged in the end, no one got to sleep in his own bed. She came up with some sort of illogical solution and my family has laughed about it for years now.

That story is sort of a life-lesson story for me to just relax about the details and give up some of the control. Maybe step back a bit and see what I'm really doing - how I'm actually arranging things and ask myself, Does this make sense?


I keep thinking about where all these people are going to sleep. What if my nephew Erick and his girlfriend stay the night on Thanksgiving? Where will they sleep? But, you know what Paige? It'll work out and you shouldn't worry about it. And don't make Leigh and Alex sleep in your bedroom so that Erick and Amber can sleep in Wilbur's room, while Wilbur sleeps with you in Emery's room and Doug and Emery sleep in the TV room. Because that's the kind of scenario you've been devising and guess what? No one would be in his own bed!

No comments: