player

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Joe the Preacher


Someone sent me an awful prayer - the subject of the email was, "A Prayer for Our Nation." If it had come by post I'd have burnt it. It was so hateful and awful that I have cut ties with the sender. The email attributed this prayer to Billy Graham, but that was wrong. It was by Joe Wright. The email said, "He is such a wise man, he really knows what's going on in the country right now!" But the prayer was delivered in 1996. I found it on snopes.


I am so tired of pablum Christianity with its black and white everything and swallow-it-whole mentality. So sick of just receiving junk like that via email - toxic, harmful and wasteful trash - and doing nothing about it. I'm so tired of hateful language casting me as a sinner for what I believe. I'm not going to take it anymore. Those right-wingers are on notice. No more facebook friendliness.


I won't write it. But I'll pray its opposite.
The religiosity that some cling to inspires this prayer.

We confess that we have ridiculed those who question and sat in judgment of them.

We have worshipped a hostile and unwelcoming god of our own design instead of learning about your nature and the lenses - Jesus, Mohammed and others - through whom we might know you.

We have endorsed exclusivity and called it Christ-like.

We have held tight to our money and called it faith.

We have neglected the needy because they haven't earned our love and called it prudent.

We have made the first first instead of the last first and denied a helping hand to those who need it.

We have decided we know better and characterized private choices as sinful acts.

We have taught our children to hate what they don't understand and called it Homeland Security.

We have abused power and called it a necessary means to an end.

We have ridiculed our neighbor's ideas and called it righteousness.

We have polluted the air and thought nothing of our responsibility to your creation and called it economics.

We have invented the values of our forefathers and pretended that they endorsed the idea of a Christian nation and called it our mission.

No comments: