player

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Anne Frank Doctrine


Anne Frank
Originally uploaded by Mr. History
My father and I once had an argument about his political conservatism and my political liberalism that engendered this contrast between us: he said that people, left to their own devices with their money will make better decisions than the government would; I said the opposite. It boiled down to the essence which was that my father adhered to the Anne Frank Doctrine saying People Are Basically Good and I did not. I believe that people are basically petty.

If I had been Anne Frank I would never have written her gracious words. I think people, left to their own devices with money or anything else - with no one watching, exhibit greed, stupidity, pettiness and xenophobia. And as much as I love my daddy, I think history and the current financial crisis show I am right.

It's an odd position that we came to in that argument but I see where my father was coming from. He felt that problems should be addressed at the local level without interference from the Federal Government. He believed that people would do the right things to address issues in their community. And he felt they should have more of their own money (pay less tax, so they could give more to charity and church if they chose) and should be free to make money in a free market.

I couldn't disagree more. I think people will keep all their money and give little away if they have no incentive to do so (like a tax break). I think if they can find a way to make money on the back of someone else, they will. I think if they can convince themselves that a profitable loophole is only unethical and not illegal, or illegal but they are sure not to get caught, they'll do it.

It doesn't make me pleased to find people are not good at heart. But they keep proving me again and again.

No comments: