player

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Do We Ever Really Grow Up?

I was talking with a friend about times in our lives when our thoughts and emotions make us feel very un-grown up. And she asked the question, "Sometimes I wonder", she said, "do we ever really grow up?" I think she has something there because lately my life seems to be overwhelming me just a little and I can't seem to keep things in check. Little cats are scooting about and my mind whirs. I'm in one of those periods in my life where I realize that I thought I had things all figured out but the chaos inside causes me to come up short and accept that I don't. It's a bit of an emotional free fall. I am sure that this is a necessary correction - like the economy, my ego grows and grows and then events called corrections come along and take a little wind out of the sails.

The things that tie me down and keep me earthbound are Doug (especially) and our children. Doug is a saint. He is kind and funny, charming and sexy, smart and loyal (exceedingly loyal). Sometimes I think I don't deserve him.

Amidst the turmoil we play Super Mario Brothers and Smarty Pants. I can't really go batty when we have Mario and Luigi to pull me back.

No comments: