player

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Peptic and Gastric

So, I have an ulcer. Confirmed by an upper endoscopy. It's funny how I can trace my history of stress to my gut. That's where it settles and pains and wakes me up. This time it's from ingesting too much non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. I know why I ingest too many and I can say it's the fault of the evil insurance industry, which is why we should all vote democrat so we can straighten out this mess once and for all.

I have 2 kinds of headaches: tension and migraine. Sometimes what begins as a tension headache will mutate into a full-blown migraine. But, I only get enough migraine medication (Relpax) for 3 headaches per month. I could purchase more, that wouldn't be covered, but there's no generic and each pill is like 1,000 bucks (not really, but almost). So, when I get a tension headache or eye strain, I often pop excedrin to knock it out so that I can keep from wasting my migraine pills.

And that's how it has happened. I've taken too much over time and now I have an ulcer.

I knew something was wrong so, frankly, I was glad for them to confirm it with something real after the upper endoscopy last week. I don't have h. pylori (the bacteria which often causes ulcers) and the biopsy was normal.

I will have to walk away from the computer and stretch or relax or prostrate myself on the floor of my office to relieve stress and tension and eye strain. Or I'll go for a walk. But I can't put all those drugs in this almost-42-year-old body because she can't take it anymore...

No comments: