player

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Funny Wilbur


So, Wilbur had this staph infection on his thumb and we took him to the doctor and got prescription ointment for it and it's healing, but, the nail is going to come off. So, we've been watching his thumbnail for weeks now and it's lifting and lifting and about to come off.

Early this morning both boys came in our room and I told them to go get back in bed that they would be fine. And Wilbur does what he often does when he is asked to just 'go to sleep' or 'go to bed' - which is not his routine. [I could digress into the routine - pee, brush teeth, clothes off, head on mommy's lap, read book, drink milk, fall asleep.] He cried. So he got in bed with me and Doug went with Emery.

Fast forward to this morning. Wilbur is stroking my hair ever-so-gently, trying to get me to wake up. I say, "Let me see your thumb." I examine the thumb like I always do and talk about how that nail is going to come off... blah blah blah. And there is this long pause and he's grinning at me and then he says, "Now, let's see your fumb"

I just wonder what he thinks about us examining his thumb all the time. This little interchange today made me think he doesn't really see it the way we see it - the looking at the thumb and checking the infection. I got the distinct impression he just thinks we have an inordinate interest in that one digit. So, he would reciprocate and give my thumb a lot of attention too.

No comments: