player

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Come and Play, Everything's A-OK...

Did you know that they've changed the opening of Sesame Street? I don't know why this makes we want and need to join the Woodinville or Seattle Historical Society to say "You Can't Tear that House Downnnnn!!!" but, that's what it makes me want to do!

Changing the opening music? I didn't even realize it until I had heard it for a few days. Every morning I turn on the TV at 7 am (shut up about my lousy parenting, it works) and that gets Wilbur out of bed to watch Sesame Street. So, imagine that I hear the new music but I delude myself. I tell myself that I don't hear rap. And if I do, it's only some figment of my imagination - I just got up, after all, and I haven't had my coffee yet. Then, even though I know that they've changed the music, I ignore it. The opening of Sesame Street has been the same since 1968. We can all sing it:

Sunny day - Sweepin’ the clouds away,
On my way to where the air is sweet.
Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street.

Come and play, everything’s A-OK
Friendly neighbors there that’s where we meet
Can you tell me how to get
How to get to Sesame Street



But now, it's a rap. It's not Sunny Day... It's sad

2 comments:

KCG said...

TRAGEDY! My children will never experience "old school" Sesame Street ... that really does make me sad.

Anonymous said...

Makes me sad also. Mr. Rogers didn't need to change as it was so universal. Sesame Street is also universal, but it did change with the times more than Mr. Rogers.