player

Monday, May 10, 2010

Alzheimers

I listened to NYC Radiolab's podcast today and it was about how a researcher in language had analyzed Agatha Christie's last 8 books and detected the possibility that she had Alzheimer's. The deduction was based on how much of her vocabulary she lost (20-25%) and how often she used the word thing, including something, nothing, everything, anything -- in other words, she became less specific and it appeared that this could be an early indicator for Alzheimer's.

I had to stop listening to the podcast. The other day I was searching for the word sentimental and could not come up with it. As I listened to this professor talk about how Christie was losing it, losing herself, losing her mind, I thought about analyzing my blogs and emails from the last 5 years... If they could tell a tale, would I want to know?

Decidedly not. What would be the point? I think it would just make me panic. My mother always says that being a mother and working full time and all that is what makes you unable to come up with the word sentimental when you need it. Just in case, I have started working the crossword puzzle again after going years without it. I think I need to keep sharp.

No comments: