player

Monday, February 01, 2010

Men Who Loved Women




I've noticed a curious phenomenon:


The Lotharios I've known in the course of my life all have girl children. These men, who have finally given up their wanton pursuit of women and have, in their late 30s or even early 40s (never earlier than that), settled down into a married (or married-like) existence and started having children -- these men, almost without exception, have produced girl children.


I don't mean that all the men I know who have daughters are reformed rapscallions. But the men I know who were the worst of the worst for bed hopping, cheating, collecting bedpost notches and were famous for utterances of, "I'll call you", all, each one, without exception, have girls. And not just girls as well as boys - they don't ever produce boys - only girls. Their seed is all X chromosome sperm. (Isn't that how it works? Women's eggs are always X and men have X and Y sperm? It sounds right).


I think it's so interesting, really. Is there something in their DNA; something that both causes them to behave the way they do as young men while later in life determining that their progeny is exclusively female? If I believed in a god who seeks revenge, I'd think 'that's pretty fitting.' If I believed in reincarnation I'd think that these guys have come back in this go round to work on those issues of love and intimacy (or whatever causes all that skirt chasing). I guess what I really believe is that God has a wonderful sense of humor.

No comments: