player

Friday, August 01, 2008

Insight


Epiphany
Originally uploaded by CountryDreaming
Sent as email to MH:

I read this fascinating article in this past week's New Yorker that I insist you read, if you haven't already. It's about some research being done into 'Insight' and how it happens; how the brain happens on epiphany and what happens in the brain when we have an insight or an epiphany. It really focuses on the Right brain and the need to wander, get distracted and also come to an impasse in whatever problem we are trying to solve.

I find this absolutely fascinating b/c this is how I think and I have often been discouraged from my natural pattern of non-focus and disorganization (and sometimes I do the same to Emery!).

The impasse is absolutely critical. If the brain doesn't experience that feeling of almost giving up (on coming up with a solution, answer, solving the problem, etc.) it's almost like the insight can't happen. And the wander is essential too - that's when the right brain engages and starts making the strange connections that are "big picture" connections - bringing together seemingly unrelated things to arrive at insight.

No comments: